Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Preparing for the 2012 Season

Getting ready for the 2012 season has been interesting.


I have been studying different types of fishing techniques for smallmouth bass fishing. I have mostly used horizontal fishing techniques in the past, throwing spinnerbaits, crank baits and top water. I have been reading and watching vertical techniques, such as tubing, drops shotting and will also try a double fluke. As I try them, I will post about my experiences.


I have recently purchased a Shimano dropshot spinning rod. It is 6'8", medium power, with an extra fast tip. I also purchased a new reel. It is a Shimano Stradic CI4. It is suppose to be an excellent reel. I will give a review on the equipment.


In my readings I have come across a lot of new knots such as the San Diego Jam knot, the Uni knot, the Surgeon knot, etc. as I use them, I will write about what I think of them.


I have spent a fair amount of time learning about fishing lines. There is the good old monofilament that is trustworthy and inexpensive, and then the two super line types, fluorocarbon and braid. More expensive lines, have superior performance, but a bigger price tag.


Sunline is a premier fluorocarbon (FC). Power Pro is a premier braid line. I still haven't decided yet which line or lines I will choose yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment